Seeing the light task

This task was all to do with composition, layering and hierarchy.  It all ties into Visual dynamics, this is how all the individual parts of the design work on the page. As soon as you have more than one element on a page there is going to be some push and pull between. What I first did was highlight key parts of these elements.


What was very interesting to me was actually recognising how the eye moves about the page, more specifically when I looked back at my visual diary I could see the exact order my eye recognised each part of the design whether they were bigger, had a higher contrast or offset. There is plenty of ways of utilising composition which is basically just how things are presented on the page. I play around with it very often to try and make my designs more impactful and look 'better'. I use the golden proportions often in my design to make sure I have good composition.

Layering allows you to add visual dynamics in a predominately flat world of graphic design you can do this by adding elements into the foreground/background adding a sense of depth to your work this is incredibly valuable in transforming a design in the same way you would add shading and highlights to an illustration. Having a sense of depth avoids the design from becoming flat and uninteresting. It can also add a level of priority when it comes to viewing the work.

That leads nicely into 'hierarchy' which I never really considered when working on my designs, It is used to regulate the viewer's eye and control what information it views first and so on. You wouldn't want the viewer to look at the image in the bottom corner of your newspaper before they read the headline. This is easily done through typography and changing the size and weight of fonts, it also ties into the composition and layering through the placement of the text, is it at the top of the page or the bottom left. The thing you want the viewer to see first needs to be big and bold or at least the biggest and boldest thing on the page, it also needs to be placed appropriately on a portrait A4 page you wouldn't have the headline at the bottom, it would be at the very top of the page and continue downwards

Contrast is the last element and a design technique I reference and use quite a lot, it's creating a visual push and pull by using: light and dark, small and large, empty and full to create the dynamic.

The main task was to use a picture of a light bulb, a block of colour and the word "light bulb". I was tasked to create 20 images that experiment with the use of composition, hierarchy and layering.

I began to create a large number of thumbnail sketches of the compositions I wanted to try, this would make it much easier when it came to digitally putting together 20 images as each small thumbnail sketch took about 10 seconds once the idea was there. Sketching was a vital part of this task and allowed me to literally get as many ideas (good and bad) onto the page very quickly.


As you can see I just used basic shapes to represent each part of the picture for ease.
Here was my final set of 20.
One thing I love is that every single one has a different dynamic and feel. Some the focus is lifted off the lightbulb to the text. One way I did this was to make the lightbulb smaller, I was made the text bigger and layered it over a red block of colour so that I had the contrast it needed to stand out better. Another composition technique I used was using the block of colour to make the lightbulb stand out more. Instead of having the block of colour as big as the lightbulb I used it as a way of lifting it off the page

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abstract Cities

Exercise: Giving Information

Importance of Critique