Problem Solving

Problem Solving is the next part of the course. It begins with an exercise called working to a brief, the task is to read the 3 briefs and analyse them. Asking yourself a series of questions. I'm going to go through each question individually throughout this post so I won't list them here.

What I began doing is highlighting the key parts of the brief, these include the medium of the design, logo packaging etc, as well as the target audience and key words that can really help to get the vibe right.





BRIEF ONE: The first brief was to produce packaging for Quaker's new 'Chilled Creamy Oats. I've highlighted both 'packaging' and 'Chilled Creamy Oats', packaging tells me exactly what needs to be designed and because it's packaging for a product, I need to know what the product is because there would usually be an image which goes onto the packaging which represents the product inside. This means that if I was given the brief directly from Quakers I would need to be able to obtain stock photography from them or take my own, which means I would need some samples of the product. The next thing I highlighted was "young women" this shows me the target audience for the packaging, this can help determine font choice and colours, as well as wording to use on the packaging. There are quite a few key words inside the brief as well which I've highlighted such as, 'treats' 'feeling hungry' 'natural goodness' and 'bland and unappealing'. These words can help me to produce the packaging, the word 'treats' means the packaging needs to portray the idea that this is a treat and not just a healthy snack, this comes down to the colours and visuals used in the packaging. The visuals are the most important aspect in making it feel like this is a treat, on boxes of cookies and doughnuts, there is usually a big picture of the item, looking delicious, I would be able to enhance the photography to make the oats looking more visually appealing. The words 'bland and unappealing represent the current idea of eating oats inside a young woman, this is something I need to tackle inside my packaging making oats look the opposite of this. I think a successful outcome will be judged by how much the packaging both targets young woman and tackles the idea of oats being bland and makes them look like a treat.

BRIEF TWO: This brief isn't as straightforward as the first one, there is no chosen medium to produce. It's very sparse in that sense. But what it does go into detail in, is the journey that the brief wants you to take. Exploring the theme of 'covetiveness' The brief wants you to explore people: events and theories, that might be linked together much like a journey on a train. Now the brief says that I can define my own market, which isn't usually the case with briefs, but because I'm defining the market it means that I'm defining the medium in which I produce, so If I chose young adults than a social media campaign would be more successful than a tv ad on BBC 2 at half 1 in the afternoon. I think a large part of this brief is research, gathering images and theories. These images can be anything I want them to be as long as they are connected in some way.  

BRIEF THREE: This brief is all about the risks of underage drinking and raising awareness of it to spark a cultural change in society's attitude towards alcohol. Now the target market is split into two, firstly I need to target the underage children, however, the brief goes onto mention how they want to urge parents to talk to their children, which means that the work has to appeal to both. The brief is asking me to 'raise awareness' of drinking underage alcohol. From interpreting this brief, I would go for the angle of binge drinking underage and the damage it can cause to a developing body. This is because I don't want to go down the route of condemning underage drinking with scare tactics, as I believe the real issue is alcohol abuse not just drinking it. The second part is talking not just about the effects on the body but also the vulnerable situations alcohol can put young people in. The campaigns identity is centred around the quote, "Why let drink decide", because of how important this is to the client and the message, this needs to be featured inside the design, to solidify the message and also keep me as a designer on track so I don't steer away from the message. Now in terms of format, the client is open to suggestions on what I think is best, which means I would need to brainstorm different ways of reaching young children and parents. One of the first things that jump to mind is schools. Most schools have space for posters and this would be a perfect way to portray the message, especially within the age group because young children, particularly 13-16 are quite impressionable, and providing them with a positive message within being preachy, is the way I would go about the design.

Overall I would most like to tackle the third brief about underage drinking, In my opinion, it's a very important message, and from a design point of view, I think would be the most interesting and exciting to build. This is one a lot more direction than the 2nd one, however, I like some level of interpretation within the fact that I'm able to choose the format to which I produce. In my opinion - as much fun as it would be - brief two is just too open for me to tackle, In my design work, I do like some level of direction. The chosen brief would offer me the ability to take a message and really interpret it in my own way whilst still have a direction and overall arc to the message. It would really stretch my skills in the sense that I would need work on adjusting my designs to appeal to different audiences, which makes me think deeper into the individual aspects of my work and how they work together to appeal to different demographics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abstract Cities

Exercise: Giving Information

Importance of Critique